Thursday, April 5, 2007

Martha Stewart Hooks Up with the Sewing Gods

When I think of Martha Stewart, I don't necessarily think of sewing. But she and SVP Worldwide (the folks behind the Singer, Husqvarna, Viking and Pfaff sewing machine lines) are hoping that's all going to change. SVP and Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia, Inc. have announced a long-term agreement for Martha to endorse their lines of sewing machines.

“My mother taught me the basics of sewing at a young age and I have had Singer sewing machines in my home since I was a girl. I used them to make many of my clothes in high school and college and I even sewed my wedding dress,” said Martha Stewart in a recent statement. “Sewing is a wonderfully useful skill. It enables anyone to create beautiful and functional projects or even enhance something as basic as a paper gift bag. I’m delighted that sewing is enjoying a national renaissance since I know very well the pride and pleasure that can be derived from this rewarding pursuit.”

Sewing is becoming fashionable again. According to the Home Sewing Association, there are 35 million people who sew as a hobby in the US alone, which is up from about 30 million in 2000.

“Martha Stewart’s long-term endorsement of the SINGER, HUSQVARNA VIKING, and PFAFF brand lines is confirmation of the company’s success in designing, producing and providing easy-to-use sewing machines,” said Don Fletcher. “Martha brings extensive experience and a passion for sewing to our newly formed relationship. Our shared vision to inspire the sewer and elevate creativity will provide endless possibilities for sewers.”

SVP was looking for a "sewing mentor" to capture the interest of protective and beginning sewers, and who better than former fashion model-turned-entrepreneur, Martha?

“The largest sewing machine company in the world, which manufactures SINGER, HUSQVARNA VIKING, and PFAFF machines, makes home sewing a creative outlet for homemakers and crafters,” noted Martha. “I have used many of these excellent machines in my home and at work and in the television studio for years for all my sewing projects. They are also the machines of choice among MSLO’s team of crafts experts and stylists. Whether you are a beginner or an accomplished seamstress, you’ll be able to find the right machine to fit your particular needs.”

Photo from SVP.

No comments: