Wednesday, November 7, 2007

Newsstand Alert: Everyday Food Holiday Baking Special Issue!

I picked up a copy of the Everyday Food Holiday Baking special issue on Monday. My grandmother and I looked through it together and drooled over the delicious looking offerings. In addition to fantastic looking desserts, there are some good baking tips—pointers on chilling butter, whipping cream, lining cake pans with parchment paper (I’d forgotten the trick of folding a square of parchment so that it could be easily trimmed to fit in the pan, so I’m glad to be reminded of that before the busy holiday baking season).

My grandmother thought the Raspberry Trifle looked really yummy, and was much easier to make than her recipe. I think the Lemon Fig Cake looks like a really unusual dessert for the season. I’m always looking for ways to work healthy, high fiber figs into my recipes. But the one that really jumped out at me was the cover recipe for Chocolate-Peppermint Cake. This just looks fabulously rich, and a perfect dessert for our Christmas Eve dinner. My brother-in-law and his wife will be joining us for Christmas this year, and I know they’ll love it. I just have to be sure to have some whole milk on hand, because my brother-in-law loves rich, moist chocolate cake with a big glass of milk. What better way to celebrate the holidays?

The Everyday Food Holiday Baking issue is on newsstands now and has tons of great ideas, from special treats to give as gifts, tea breads and cookies for a quick snack, home-style desserts for every day, to splurgy special desserts for both Thanksgiving and Christmas. I’ll be keeping this issue and using it as a reference for future holidays as well.

No comments: