Monday, April 7, 2008

Review: Coconut-Apricot Macaroons


(Photo Courtesy MarthaStewartLiving.com)

Hi friends! In the current issue (April 2008) issue of Everyday Food, the Cookie Jar (page 144) has the most delicious cookie. Since I was a very young girl I can remember being in the kitchen with my grandmother making macaroons. The crinkle of parchment paper, the perfect little mounds of coconut and the sultry scent of coconut coming from the oven tempting me even before they cooled off and were then dipped and drizzled in milk chocolate. It was almost too much for an 8 year old to bear!

Funnily enough, a favorite blog of mine Cakespy recently did a piece on macaroons and I was again transported to my grandmothers kitchen. I could smell the sweet flaked coconut bubbling on parchment paper and chocolate simmering on the double boiler! I would patiently watch them brown through the oven window with my oven mitts on and wait for the timer to "ding" announcing their baking time had ended.

For the month of April, Martha gives this classic favorite a refreshingly spring time twist with plump apricots! They are such a luscious surprise, I cannot believe I have never thought to add ingredient myself! Enjoy this recipe; is it refreshingly delicious!

Best!
Wendy

Coconut Apricot Macaroons
Recipe Courtesy Everyday Food
Makes 20

3 large egg whites
1/2 cup sugar
3/4 teaspoon pure almond extract (optional)
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 package (14 ounces) sweetened flaked coconut
1/2 cup soft dried apricots, coarsely chopped (3 ounces)

Directions

1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.

2. In a large bowl, whisk together egg whites, sugar, almond extract (if using), and salt until frothy. Add coconut and apricots; mix to combine.

3. Using your hands, shape mixture into mounds, each equal to 2 level tablespoons; place 1/2 inch apart on prepared baking sheet (macaroons will not spread).

4. Bake until lightly golden, 35 to 40 minutes, rotating sheet halfway through. Transfer macaroons to a wire rack to cool completely. Store in an airtight container at room temperature, up to 1 week.

No comments: