Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Grow...


This month's goal in May's issue of Body + Soul has been staring me in the face for weeks...
Let Yourself Grow, it's title encourages...
The theme of my family's 2008 has been one of living intentionally. Taking notice of the impact our daily lives have on the people around us as well as the world. This theme of growth seems to fit perfectly nestled in to it.

I had hoped to write today about a craft, or special Martha recipe, but once this hit me square in the head I realized that this was exactly what I should focus on.

While craft projects and cooking tips are wonderful and, honestly, a necessity to so many of us- taking care of ourselves should always be at the peek of our priority list. Within this month's Goal section several topics to promote self growth are written about. I put them into practice as the month began and wanted to just share a bit about that here...

- Sleep Better Tonight. As a habitual pillow flipper, sound sleep is a rare visitor to my dreams. I toss, I turn. I stare blankly at my clock, bothered by even the slightest of lights which creep their way to my bedroom. As my fingers turned the page to this section, I couldn't help but scoff...
The article goes on to describe the different Insomnia's and it's causes. The best part? It offers solutions too! And, for me, the Power Thinker-- they worked.

- Healthy Breakfast Basics. This was the biggest problem for me. After my sleep struggles, I wouldn't want to eat anything at all until about noon... (Anyone reading this can get how tragic this is to a day.) The other problem was my family and their morning bonding session with cold cereal from a box. So, rather than expecting myself to whip up egg white omelets at 6 a.m. every morning, I viewed my life with my realistic glasses on. I created a power breakfast which we call "Breakfast Salad". (yep... we're clever) Here is the recipe:
*Fruit... (any kinds of fresh fruit that you want. Our favorite is strawberries, blueberries, blackberries and banana)
*Granola...
*1/2 c. Flax Seed
*organic yogurt (any flavor)

Mix together. Or dip the fruit/granola/flax mixture in yogurt as you eat.
So simple... And the most amazing start to our mornings... We don't do it every morning, but we can certainly tell the difference between the mornings we do and the mornings we don't!
(The issue offers GREAT alternatives to this, from lean meats roll ups to smoothies.)

- Worth The Risk- Why taking chances is more important than you think. I'd love to say I have some big personal account of this section, but I don't. Not because I'm scared, but because taking chances hasn't ever really been an issue for me. I do agree, however, that it's vital...

- Beginner's Guide to Organic Gardening. Now this, this we've done. And, though things are warming in the sunlight, and growing- we are ecstatic at the harvest we will reap. It simply feels good...

Honestly, the sharer in me wanted to type out the entire article, for those of you who don't have the issue... But I can't do that. So, from me to you- I encourage you to pick it up. It's GREAT! Chalked full of great (and practical) tips, May's Goal is not only worthy one- but necessary too!

No comments: