Sunday, May 11, 2008

Rosemary Beef Skewers Rock

I love simple and easy cooking. But I also want things that taste great, not just to me, but the little people who share my dinner table. Rosemary Beef Skewers with Horseradish Dipping Sauce deliver!

This a super easy recipe that kids will like. What could be better? Oh wait, there's this: I call it steak and BAM! I just saved $40 I would have spent on T-Bones.

Here's the recipe from Everyday Food complete with my annotations:

  • 2 garlic cloves
  • 2 tablespoons fresh rosemary leaves*
  • coarse salt and ground pepper
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 3 flat iron (shoulder top blade) steaks (1 1/2 pounds total), gristle removed**
  • 1/2 cup reduced-fat sour cream
  • 1 tablespoon prepared white horseradish, drained***

 

1. Heat broiler, with rack set 4 inches from heat. Line a rimmed baking sheet with aluminum foil; set aside. Soak eight 6-inch wooden skewers in water for at least 10 minutes. (I use the metal kind.)

2. Meanwhile, on a work surface (where else would you do it?), chop garlic and rosemary, and sprinkle with a little salt. Press blade of knife back and forth across mixture to make a paste. (I use a garlic press for the garlic.) Place in a medium bowl, and stir in oil; season with 1 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper.

3. Cut steaks into twenty-four (???) 1 1/2 inch chunks. Add to bowl; toss to coat. Thread three chunks of beef onto each skewer (or you know, ten); place skewers onto prepared baking sheet.

4. Broil (without turning) 4 to 6 minutes for medium-rare. (This is pretty rare for my taste, but that may also have to do with the fact that I'm low on skewers and I pack the meat pretty close together. Just cook them as long as you want. I go for about 10 minutes.) Meanwhile (and don't forget this part, like I did the first time), in a small bowl, stir together sour cream and horseradish; season with salt and pepper. Serve skewers with horseradish sauce.

* If anyone knows which variety of Rosemary comes back year after year, please share. You do NOT want to buy this stuff when you can grow it for pennies.

** I have no idea where to find this cut of meat. You are welcome to find it at your specialty meat shop, but I'm a Wal-Mart gal and I'm here to tell you - this recipe is delicious with sirloin. Super good, and super cheap. I feed the family of four (and we're not shy about portions) AND have leftovers for two Mom Lunches or one additional Kids Only supper.

*** I just mix prepared horseradish sauce with sour cream, but it all depends on your taste. It will be stronger if you use the real thing as the recipe directs.

 

Voila! I hope you'll add this to your summer menu and let us know what you think!

No comments: