Monday, July 14, 2008

Looking to the South, y'all

There's nothing I like better than a new issue of Martha Stewart Living...but I'm even more excited when MSL includes some good ole Southern Cookin'!

Being a Southern Belle myself, I know how good a plate of fried chicken tastes on a hot, humid summer day sittin' at the picnic table with all your closest friends and family sippin' on a cold lemonade or Bourbon Old Fashioned.

Now when my husband and I make fried chicken for the Kentucky Derby we use lard and a cast iron skillet to fry it up. (Please don't gag...it's the best, I swear!) But I have to say, it's nice to see a less artery clogging version for everyday meals.

So until you're brave enough to come to my house to try the real original recipe (sorry Colonel Sanders!), give Martha's a whirl. One suggestion, though. To give it even more of an authentic Southern feel, use some seasoned flour from my local hometown favorite, Weisenberger Mill, instead of the Wondra flour.  

Oven Fried Chicken 
(serves 4)

3 large eggs, beaten
3T Tabasco sauce
1 medium onion, sliced 1/4 inch thick
2 garlic cloves, smashed and peeled
1 whole chicken (3-4 lbs, cut into 8 pieces)
1/4c Wondra Flour or Weisenberger Mill Season Flour
1/4c fine yellow cornmeal
3/4t coarse salt
1/4t sweet paprika
1/8t cayenne pepper
1/4c extra-virgin olive oil

1. Mix eggs, Tabasco, onion, and garlic in a large bowl. Add chicken, and toss to coat well. Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour (or up to 8 hours).
2. Preheat oven to 450. Place a rimmed baking sheet on center rack. Whisk flour, cornmeal, salt, paprika, and cayenne in a medium bowl. Remove chicken from marinade and roll each piece in flour mixture, shaking off excess.
3. Place chicken on preheated baking sheet and bake for 20 minutes. Lightly brush top of each piece with oil and bake, brushing tops every 10 minutes until chicken is dark golden brown, 30-40 minutes more.
4. Transfer chicken to a wire rack and let cool slightly. Serve immediately or let cool to room temperature.  

*image from marthastewart.com

2 comments:

cwelkley said...

Abbey, your fried chicken is the BEST!!! Love,
A Satisfied Customer :)

Marcy Massura said...

LOVE this site! So glad you visited mine! Yes, I am closet Martha lover too...shhh don't tell!
I shall subscribe!