Thursday, February 26, 2009

Breakfast for Dinner



I'm usually fairly knowledgeable about news and current events. I read a lot of blogs and newspaper headlines - though I admit that I rarely make it through a full article. My media diet is plentiful but not excessive. I listen to the Today Show while I'm getting dressed in the morning and my commute back and forth from work is rarely completed without some form of reading material in hand.

Being that I work in consumer public relations for a living, I know a lot more about pop culture than I ever did before I started working. I read gossip blogs and I know enough about celebrities to brainstorm brand spokespeople during occasional staff meetings.

I know that Reese Witherspoon likes to scrapbook. I know that January 9 is National Clean Up Your Desk Day. I know that coffee September is Better Breakfast Month.

But somehow, I missed the fact that February 24 was National Pancake Day. At first, I assumed this was a fake holiday created by a mother who didn't feel like cooking dinner and said, "Fine, we'll just have pancakes."

In fact, National Pancake Day is actually derived from Shrove Day, the Tuesday before Lent, when Christian groups would give up fat and eggs. In preparation, they used the forbidden ingredients the day before as not to waste them.

Here are a few of Martha's favorite pancake recipes:

Tips for Perfect Pancakes

What are your favorite pancake recipes?

2 comments:

How To Eat A Cupcake said...

Ohhh pancakes... how I LOOOOVE pancakes!

Helena said...

We make Pancakes quite often for Dinner, everyone loves them and they're so easy to make.