Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Review: Corn Salad

Summer is almost here. Really. Even though weather here in the Northeast barely feels like Spring, warmer weather and all the bounty of Summer produce will be here before we know it.

Charlie Brown's restaurant has a corn salad in their salad bar that I love, love, love, so when I spied a recipe for that in Martha's Great Food Fast, I knew I had to make it.

Last night it hit the dinner table and did not disappoint. The salad was cool and refreshing, and using canned corn instead, I ended up freeing up more space in my pantry - bonus!

If you don't have Martha's newest cookbook yet, do pick up a copy. This is the 4th recipe I've made from it so far, and each one has been a keeper. Fast, delicious and even healthy - what more could you want?

Corn Salad
Recipe courtesy of Martha Stewart's Great Food Fast

Serving: Serves 4

6 ears corn, husks and silk removed (I used three small cans)
3 scallions, thinly sliced crosswise (1/2 cup)
2 Tablespoons white-wine vinegar
2 Tablespoons olive oil
Coarse salt and ground pepper

Remove kernels: Cut off tip of each cob; stand in a wide shallow bowl. With a sharp knife, slice downward to remove kernels. To bowl, add scallions, vinegar, and oil. Season generously with salt and pepper; toss to combine. Serve, or cover and refrigerate up to 1 day.

No comments: