Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Review: Picadillo Nachos

Ever since we had nachos at a local Mexican place recently, our son, Nicholas, has become a big fan, so I thought it would be fun if we made them together.

Although I don't make them often, I love making nachos at home, because you can personalize at will ... more cheese, no cheese, spicy, not so much, extra meat, hold the olives and so on. Delicious, quick and simple - my kind of starter. You really don't need a recipe for nachos, but I used a Martha Stewart one from a recent issue of Everyday Food. Instead of pork picadillo, I used cooked ground beef, just to cut down on my kitchen time.

Picadillo Nachos
Recipe courtesy of Everyday Food

5 oz tortilla chips (about 8 cups)
4 oz Monterey Jack cheese, grated (about 1 cup)
2 cups Pork Picadillo (I used about a 1 lb of seasoned, cooked, ground beef)
1/4 cup fresh cilantro leaves
1 avocado, halved, pitted, peeled and cubed
1 cup grape tomatoes, quartered or diced plum tomatoes

Heat broiler with rack set 4 inches from heat. Line a rimmed baking sheet with aluminum foil. Place chips, slightly overlapping, on prepared sheet. Sprinkle with half the cheese, then picadillo and remaining cheese. Broil until cheese is melted, 2 to 5 inches. Top with cilantro, avocado and tomatoes before serving.

Serves 4.

1 comment: