Monday, October 22, 2007

Sneak Peek: November Issue of Everyday Food

I received the November issue of Everyday Food and read the whole thing in a single evening. There are some wonderful looking things in this issue that I’m dying to try.

The Flatiron Steak with Arugula and Cauliflower from the Dinner 1-2-3 section would make a great choice, either for family or for company. Alone it’s perfect for those who try to stay away from starches, but it still provides a full meal. With a side of potatoes, it would be an excellent cozy autumn evening dinner.

Onion Soup with Cheese Toasts looks like a super make-ahead that would be perfect in a lunchbox. Since it’s the featured recipe in the Freeze It column, you know it would keep nicely and be easy to heat up in the microwave.

I’ll be digging out my slow cooker to try Slow Cooked Tex-Mex Chicken and Beans. I love meals I can put on to cook and leave so I can get other things done, and this one fits the bill. Plus since it uses a jar of pre-made salsa, it doesn’t require a lot of prep before plugging in the pot.

The Chicken with Lemon Mustard Sauce and Seared Radicchio is a must-try also. Searing radicchio seems like an interesting take on a vegetable that we’re more familiar with as a salad component. I’m always looking for new vegetables to try to keep from getting bored.

My son is a pumpkin fanatic, so I know he’s going to want to make the Chocolate-Glazed Pumpkin Cookies from the Cookie Jar feature. They look nicely cakey and puffy. Since he’s such a fan, I might make the Pumpkin Layer Cake as our contribution to Thanksgiving dinner with the family. With pumpkin pie spice in the batter and in the frosting, it should be warm and fragrant with the scents of fall.

If you’re not a subscriber, by all means pick up a copy of the November Everyday Food when you see it on the newsstand!