Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Easy Week Night Pasta...

While catching up on Martha Stewart, via my DVR, I came across this amazing recipe.
My family loves Pasta, but not every recipe really works for us. It can be pretty hit or miss, and usually it's miss around here...
As soon as I saw Sfoglia's Spaghetti Carbonara- I was sure we'd found a favorite. Typically I am not a Carbonara fan but this recipe is clearly not heavy and greasy like most Carbonara sauces I've seen or worked with.

I've made it twice now, and although we did use guanciale (Italian smoked bacon) the first time, we used a less fatty- more regular bacon the second time and it was just as delicious and so easy! (Although my photos, neither time, looked like anything as delectable as the one from Martha's own site!)

Here is the recipe:


Sfoglia's Spaghetti Carbonara

Serves 4 to 6

  • 1/2 cup diced guanciale
  • 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
  • Coarse salt
  • 1 pound spaghetti
  • 6 large egg yolks
  • 1/4 pound Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, grated

Directions

  1. Fill a large pot with water and bring to a boil over high heat.
  2. In a large skillet over medium heat, slowly cook guanciale until the fat has been rendered and the guanciale is crisp. Add pepper and remove from heat.
  3. Generously salt boiling water and return to a boil; add pasta. Cook pasta until al dente, according to package directions. Drain pasta, reserving 4 tablespoons of pasta water.
  4. Add reserved pasta water to skillet. Place skillet over low heat, add egg yolks, and gently swirl pan to combine. Add pasta and cheese; toss to coat. Serve immediately on warmed plates.

No comments: