Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Making Lemonade (Sort of)


The lemon tree in my backyard has been particularly abundant lately. Wondering what to do with all of the lemons, I remembered reading in an old issue of “Body and Soul” about how a cup of hot water and lemon juice (with a dash of cayenne pepper and some honey) could produce revitalizing effects in the morning. Since I’m 8 months pregnant and still struggling through the mornings without my daily cup of joe, this sounded like a particularly appealing way to use the lemons.

At first I was a little scared about the cayenne, so I made a few cups with just hot water and lemon, which were a tart, tasty way to start the day. Then I got brave and added the cayenne and some honey to balance it out. I was pleasantly surprised! The cayenne gives it a nice kick and the honey gives it a cozy sweetness. Plus, I actually do feel more energized in the mornings and I think it’s helped alleviate some of those digestive problems that are so common in pregnancy.

Are you a believer in any natural remedies? Please share in a comment!

3 comments:

Randi~Dukes and Duchesses said...

I have a stash of lemons that need using ... I'm going to try that. I could use some revitalizing today.

We Are Not Martha said...

Hmm what an interesting idea. I'm all about putting tons of water in my lemon, but I'll totally have to try this!

Sues

Lady Plate said...

This sounds delicious! I think I'll have to give it a shot this weekend. Sounds like a good way to bring some summer heat into these cold winter months. I once made jalapeno limeade, but never this! Oh, the citrusy possibilities! Thanks for the recipe.