Since I moved into my current house two years ago, I've had plans to change the window treatment in the master bathroom. I was inspired months ago by a Pottery Barn bathroom layout using orange, navy and light blue together, and an idea was born. The fabric was purchased but I couldn't come to a decision on the type of treatment I was looking for ... until I saw the Button-Up Window Shade on a Martha Stewart craft email one day. The simplistic style appealed to me and I thought it would work well with my chosen Amy Butler print.
Here's where my confession comes in: I looked at the picture of the shade but didn't actually read the instructions so my shade differs slightly from Martha's. (For instructions, click here.) Knowing that I wanted to leave my shade at one height (rather than opening it further to allow more sunlight in), I didn't use two rows of buttons, and I sewed buttonholes into my fabric rather than using twill tape loops to hook around the buttons.
This is a great project even for a beginner seamstress and I love the simple, tailored look. Definitely an improvement over the old curtains!