Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Everyday Food: The March Issue

When I first started getting Everyday Food, I used to go through each issue and use sticky flags to mark the recipes I wanted to make. After going through more packs than I can count, I decided to switch from stickies to the more economical dog-earing of pages. Not as colorful, but far less expensive. This month I think I folded down more page corners than ever before. I wanted to make just about every recipe I saw.

Last week all of our dinners came from this issue. Monday’s Baked Penne with Chicken and Sun Dried Tomatoes, Tuesday’s Balsamic Glazed Pork Chops, Thursday’s Breaded Chicken Cutlets, and Friday’s Irish Beef Hand Pies. (Yes, we did skip Wednesday.) Dessert every night was the Peanut Butter-Chocolate Chunk Cookies from the last page, and I’m still going to make the Fudgy Skillet Brownies (pictured) and the Warm Berries ‘n’ Dumplings.

I have a recipe backlog from this month. March is a tough time because it’s not quite warm enough for the Spring vegetables (at least where I live), and the Fall vegetables are getting tired. This issue of Everyday Food uses frozen berries, pears, canned tomatoes, cabbage, potatoes, and carrots in interesting ways that perk up what can be a rather dull time of year, foodwise. I also like the focus on a single ingredient (in this issue balsamic vinegar) with a new twist (Balsamic-Rosemary Vinaigrette that can be used as a salad dressing, and is also used as the marinade in the Balsamic Glazed Pork Chops).

The April Everyday Food is coming soon, but all of the recipes from the March issue are availble online at marthastewart.com/everyday-food.

Picture from marthastewart.com

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I made every single of these recipes you mentioned except the berries and dumplings. I'm in the same point - no fresh veggies in sight here for a while and I'm so tired of everything. This issue was a total bonanza for me. I liked just about everything I made and all of it is on my blog. THere was almost nothing to cook from Living in March - it was all about gardening.