Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Hydrangea Helpline


The popularity of hydrangeas has grown in recent years – and that could be the result of Martha’s love of the blooms.

Last summer, someone gave me a potted hydrangea as a hostess gift. It flourished inside, but when I moved it outside, it met a quick demise. This year I set out to avenge its untimely death.

In the spring, I bought a plant of the Endless Summer variety at my local nursery. I planted it in an area in my backyard that gets morning sun and afternoon shade, per the instructions. I water it almost daily, feeding it coffee grounds and Miracle Grow on a regular basis. It is definitely growing. The leaves look healthy. But it has not flowered yet!

I even purchased the plant a “friend” at the grocery store. I picked up an already flowering hydrangea in a pot and placed it nearby, just in case my plant needed some pollination help or something. Still no flowers.

This is driving me crazy! I’m determined to have lovely hydrangea blossoms this summer.

Does anyone have tips for me? I live in Zone 8 (Northern California). My plant gets full sun until a little after noon. Then it gets almost full shade for the rest of the day. Let me know if there is any other info you green thumbs out there need to prescribe a flower fix for my poor hydrangea!

If your hydrangeas are already blooming, I’m jealous! Check out the lovely things you can do with your blooms, à la Martha:

Cutting and propagating hydrangeas
Keeping hydrangeas fresh
Rehydrating hydrangeas
Hydrangea tray craft
Hydrangea wreath craft
Hydrangea wedding centerpiece

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am not familiar with Hydrangeas but I know that some plants and flowering shrubs won't bloom the first year planted. It took my rhododendrons two years before they bloomed, and now the bloom abundantly.

Hugs!!!

Ashley said...

Thanks, Cat! If this is the case, I guess I'll just have to be patient!!

LeeAnn said...

I have heard that if you cut too many off one year, you won't have them the next year. I just purchased one and was looking things up on them! Good luck, I know I need it!